Legal insurance, a decades-old coverage, has only been available to individuals in recent years. LawGuard Legal Insurance not only reimburses you for costly attorney fees, but it also puts you in control with the power to choose any attorney you want—anywhere in the world.
LawGuard is arriving in more and more states on an ongoing basis. When you go to purchase one of our plans, you’ll be able to see whether or not it’s currently available in your state. If the plan isn’t available quite yet, you can register to be notified as soon as it becomes available.
All of our plans cover your spouse/domestic partner and unmarried dependent children of either the named insured or the named insured’s spouse/domestic partner who are a permanent resident in the household of the named insured and are under the age of 19 (or under the age of 23 if a full-time student.).
A deductible is the amount of money you’re on the hook to pay for covered legal services before you’ll get paid under your insurance policy.
Our disappearing deductible means the amount of your deductible will be reduced every single year until it reaches $0 (after three years of continuous membership).
Legal insurance from LawGuard is underwritten by Professional Solutions Insurance Company based in Clive, IA. Professional Solutions Insurance Company has an “A” rating by industry analyst A.M. Best for financial strength and operating performance. Industry analyst A.M. Best’s ratings range from A++ to S. See www.ambest.com.
- Any pre-existing matter that occurs prior to your policy being effective.
- Any legal matter not specifically listed as a covered legal service.
- Legal services for the benefit of any person other than an insured.
- Legal services in class actions, punitive damages, court appeals, matters handled under a contingency fee arrangement, or post judgements (settlement agreement signed by all parties, final binding arbitration, judgment issued by a court)
- Any action, dispute or proceeding against:
- Our interest, or that of any affiliated companies related to the underwriting or administration of this policy and any of their respective agents, an insured against the interests of the name insured under the same policy.
- Attorney fees arising out of a business ownership, investment interests, commercial interests, employment matters, and patents and copyrights.
- Fines, penalties, punitive damages, filing fees, court-ordered payments of attorney fees, court costs, service of process fees, travel, clerical, copy fees, postage, and any other costs and expenses not specified.
Our plans are for personal legal matters only, so legal issues related to your business are excluded.
We don’t provide coverage for wills, divorce or bankruptcy.
Anywhere in the world.
Yes, LawGuard provides worldwide coverage.
After one year, unless otherwise designated on the declarations page. Your policy will remain in effect for each successive one-year period for which you pay the premium.
The day after you purchase the plan.
The policy excludes any action, dispute or proceeding by an insured against the interests of the named insured under the same policy.
If you receive reimbursement of attorney fees, you must reimburse LawGuard for payments made under your policy.
We believe that choosing an attorney is a personal decision. That’s why we give you the power to choose any attorney you want. If you’re looking for some resources to assist you in finding the right attorney, we also provide a list of items to consider as you start your search.
Yes, you have the power to choose any attorney you want.
Log in to your account and download a claim form. Print off the claim form, fill it out and submit it to us, along with your attorney’s bill detailing the charges and the legal services provided, as well as any supporting documents to assist us in evaluating your claim.
Upon approval of the claim, we’ll send a check within 5-10 business days.
In addition to the completed claim form, you’ll need to provide a detailed invoice from the attorney on firm letterhead that includes the following:
- Name and address of attorney
- Specific service provided
- Dates of service
- Name of client
- Amount charged (broken down by attorney fees and other fees such as court costs, filing fees, etc.)
You will also need to enclose any supporting documentation that will assist us in evaluating your claim.
This may include documentation such as:
- Docket number (when legal matter is associated with a court or trial proceeding)
- Legal notice received or sent by you
- Copy of traffic citation
- Motor vehicle record
- Court documentation
- Other public records.
You can download claim forms from our website. Just log in to your account and download one.
A completed claim form and itemized attorney billing statement are required within 90 days of the legal services for which you seek payment are completed. For ongoing legal matters where the maximum indemnity amount payable under the policy hasn’t been reached, the insured must submit an interim billing statement at least every 90 days.
About My Account
After you purchase the right plan for you and your family, you’ll be able to register for an online account that gives you full access to your policy documents, contact information, claim forms, billing information, etc.
Updating your billing information to make sure that your coverage continues without interruption is as simple as logging in to your account and entering the new information.
Our policies are issued for a one-year period. If you need to cancel mid-year, you may do so by contacting us at 1-833-LAW-GRD1 and we’ll process your cancellation.
Please note: The policy can’t be reinstated, and the disappearing deductible benefit will go back to $200 should you purchase a new policy.
You can pay online via credit card, debit card or checking account.
Your policy will automatically renew until cancelled. You’ll receive information regarding your renewal before the policy effective date, but you won’t have to do anything to renew.
In the event that your policy is cancelled by us or you, a premium refund will be made in accordance with the terms of your policy and in accordance with the insurance laws of your state.
After completing your purchase, your policy documents will be sent via email. You may also obtain your policy documents online, with 24/7 access, after registering and logging in to your account at www.LawGuard.com.